What is a field service report?
A field service report is used by field service workers to document services performed during customer visits, such as repair, maintenance and installation work. It is used to check the work progress and performance of technicians or service practitioners. It is also used to manage the collection and reporting of data on physical resources, such as vehicles and equipment.
A field service report, however, is not to be confused with a control tool. The report primarily helps you to document all aspects of the visit in order to be best prepared for the next visit.
This article covers the topics:
Important three steps during a field service report
Reporting is an essential element of the broader field service management (FSM) system in an organisation. FSM is used to ensure the efficiency and safety of workers as well as to manage a company’s equipment used in servicing customers in the field. Field service reports are used, for example, in telecommunications, engineering, HVAC, building maintenance and healthcare.
Note these three elementary steps during a field service report:
- Define what type of service practice is to be carried out (e.g. repair, maintenance, etc.)
- Describe the problem to be fixed
- Document any progress of the corrective action
What content is important for a field service report?
A field service report should be written during the visit or immediately afterwards. If the report is written a few days later, many important points may be overlooked. The starting point for a field service report is the quality of the questions and information that are asked. Depending on the application, the focus of the content can be very different. Nevertheless, there are some basic aspects that must not be missing in a field service report in most cases.
A field service report should be short and concise. It is also important that it is easy to read and understand for everyone. The following are the aspects that should not be missing from a field service report.
- Duration of the conversation
- Contents of the conversation
- Atmosphere of the conversation
- Special features
- Criticism of the customer
- Praise of the customer
- Special needs
- Affected agreements
- Opportunities and risks
Information about the visit
On completion of the report writing, you should end your work with a signature. Afterwards, the field service report can be evaluated. This allows you to define further strategic and organisational decisions afterwards. Furthermore, you can now create a to-do list for further steps or measures. The field service report serves as a starting point for analyses in the field service.
With app and digital checklists faster to the report
With a digital checklist, you can easily create field reports – online or offline. Using your tablet or smartphone, you type the relevant information directly into the app at the customer’s location. You will then receive a clear and complete report on your visit.
With the desktop version, you create your checklists and then evaluate the collected data on the computer. In this way, you can directly identify risks and weaknesses, for example, and take appropriate action.
Checklists in digital form, as made possible by Lumiform’s mobile app and desktop software, offer their users further advantages. Thus, all responsible persons can access the checklists at any time and regardless of location. If problems occur and corrective measures need to be implemented, they can be informed immediately from the app. Take advantage of other benefits for your daily work:
- The flexible checklist builder from Lumiform helps you to convert any individual paper list into a digital checklist without much effort.
- In addition, we offer more than 12,000 ready-made templates to help companies get started digitally in no time.
- Using the super intuitive mobile App, you and your teammates conduct check in the field with ease and in no time.
- All results, images and comments are automatically bundled in a digital report.
- Comprehensive analyses help you to identify inefficient areas in your company more quickly and thus to continuously improve your auditing and inspection processes.
Try Lumiform for free