What Is a FSMA Compliance Checklist?
A FSMA compliance checklist helps you to ensure a safe, high-quality food supply. Compliance with FSMA standards is essential for food producers who wish to export to the USA. The legal framework for FSMA compliance in the US is the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) came into force under President Obama in 2011 and described food safety modernization.
The fsma preventive controls apply to the 75% of food supplies regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) .
Under US food regulation, preventive controls such as those conducted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) can be applied. Regular food safety inspections are designed to ensure that imported products meet applicable USA standards. At the same time, it is important to ensure that all requirements of the respective suppliers are met.
This article covers the following topics:
7 rules of an FSMA compliance checklist
Updating food safety management systems is particularly important for food businesses involved in the US food supply to ensure FSMA compliance. The consumer should be able to rely on the safety of the food he or she buys. Accordingly, it is essential to implement a food safety program that complies with FSMA requirements. Here are the 7 most important rules for the FSMA Compliance Checklist
- Preventive control for human and animal food.
- Product safety
- Foreign Supplier Verification Programme (FSVP)
- Certification by accredited third parties
- Sanitary transport
- Deliberate adulteration rule
- Compliance with FSMA
Requirements for FSMA audit checklists
Food businesses with annual sales of more than $1 million are required under FSMA’s Preventive Controls for Human Food regulation, to conduct a preventive controls analysis required to conduct a hazard analysis and identify preventive controls. With the help of 6 simple steps, possible risks can be prevented and counteractive measures can be taken. The process for ensuring food safety is as follows:
- Identification of hazards
- Application of risk-based preventive controls
- Monitoring of the effectiveness of controls
- Take corrective action
- Verification of the implementation and effectiveness of controls
- Keeping records and documentation
A Digital solution for your FSMA compliance checklist
Maintaining good records is one of the important aspects of obtaining FSMA audit checklist. Proper documentation helps managers and food producers keep track of food production and processing processes. Gaps in your food safety system can be identified through internal audits. As a result, corrective actions can be taken to continuously improve processes in the food industry. Using a digital FSMA audit checklists facilitate compliance with a uniform standard of quality and safety.
Lumiform helps improve tedious workflows by replacing paper forms, scanning and faxing with a digital app and software – online or offline. Mobile technology is used to work more efficiently.
Benefit from the following advantages of a digital tool:
- Using the flexible FSMA compliance checklist construction kit, internal checks and processes can be constantly optimised and adapted.
- Each digital FMSA audit checklist is typically completed approximately 30%-50% faster.
- Teams will be able to perform better monitoring procedures and risk analysis from a smartphone or tablet.
- Very easy to use with no margin for error for staff. As Lumiform guides the examiner through the audit, there is no need for any training.
- Extensive analyses help you to uncover inefficient areas in your company more quickly and thus to continuously improve audit processes.
Try Lumiform for free