Ensure that the nurses you hire have the excellent skills needed for the job with the help of a detailed, comprehensive nursing skills checklist.
Lumiform enables you to conduct digital inspections via app easier than ever before.
Get a kickstart with one of our +12000 ready-made and free checklists
According to the National Library of Medicine, a nursing skills checklist provides you with a basic outline of what an excellent nurse should and shouldn’t do in order to perform their job well.
For nurses and healthcare professionals, the nursing skills checklist can be used as a measure for career growth. The checklist can also help them keep track of the skills they have attained and the ones that need improvement. They can also use it as a reference when applying for jobs or other professional positions.
For seasoned healthcare professionals, a nursing skill assessment checklist can serve as an assessment tool. For example, if you're looking to move up in your hospital's hierarchy or if you want to get into a nursing specialization, this checklist will help you identify what skills need improvement before you apply for those positions.
A nursing skill assessment checklist will also help you figure out which ones are more important for your advancement than others based on their level of difficulty (and therefore the amount of time spent studying).
The checklist is also useful for those who want to become nurses but aren't currently working toward that goal yet because they don't know what they need to learn first. This nursing skill assessment checklist will help guide them on their path toward becoming a nurse by showing them which areas they need to cover fist.
The table below are among the clinical skills needed for a nurse to perform at their optimal levels. These skills should be included in your printable nursing skills competency checklist:
A printable nursing skills competency checklist can vary depending on what are the nursing skills needed for the department the nurses are in, but all checklists should include the following:
1. Explanation on skills needed to assess in an RN skills checklist
2. How to make the most comprehensive RN skills checklist
3. Benefits of a digital RN skills checklist
In a Forbes report, it was shown that nurses need to regularly assess and improve their skills to make sure that their patients are being treated properly, and they can grow their career in the right direction.
Here are some of the skills to include in an RN nursing skills checklist to assess a nurse’s competence:
It's one thing to have a checklist, but it's another thing to have a great one. Here are some tips on how to make the most accurate nursing skills checklist for your nursing career or hospital department:
1. A nursing checklist should be comprehensive, and the best way to ensure that all the required items are included is to use a template. A template can help you check off all of the items on your checklist, make sure they are in the correct order, and make sure that nothing has been left out or misordered.
2. When creating a nursing checklist template, it is important to make sure that each item on your list has been fully researched before including it. This will allow you to avoid any errors or confusion in your final product, whether in the clinical area or department (e.g., medical-surgical, pediatrics) or specialty areas of practice (e.g., critical care).
3. It should include the most common skills that nurses need to know in order to provide quality care. These skills should be divided into sections by level of training and responsibility, so that a nurse who is newly hired can get a feel for what they need to learn.
4. Update frequently. If you're not updating your skills checklist regularly, then you'll miss out on important updates that could improve patient care and safety—or worse, lead to mistakes being made due to outdated information being provided by staff members who aren't aware that something has changed since last time they looked at their copy of the list.
The digital nursing skills checklist can be used for any type of nursing and provides countless benefits. If you are a nurse, your digital checklist can help you be the best nurse in your department by always checking up on your skills improvement.
If you are a hospital administrator, you know how important it is for your nurses to always check and update if they have all the skillset in their toolkit. A digital checklist makes sure they can monitor all of them 24/7.
With Lumiform, you can create the best nursing skills checklist to execute a nurse’s’ complete performance evaluation. In just a few clicks, you can create a customized nursing skills checklist that will be used in your organization and help you manage your nurses effectively.
Here are some of the benefits of a digital nursing skills checklist:
You have questions or would like to schedule a personal demo? We are happy to help you!