What is a form for getting back to work ?
When employees get back to work after an injury, prolonged illness, pregnancy or parental leave, HR managers and executives like to use a form as a tool to facilitate both sides' return to work. This form is used to collect information about the employee. During their return interview, employees fill out the form together with their supervisor and outline together how the employee can be reintegrated into the company as seamlessly as possible.
The form for return to work can also be designed as a checklist. In this way, supervisors can first request all important information before starting to create a reintegration plan.
This article deals with the following topics:
1. What information should be included in the form for resuming work
2. Form as an aid for getting back to work
3. What happens in a re-entry interview
4. A digital tool for getting back to work
Information in a form for getting back to work
In the form for resuming work after a long illness, the manager and employee usually provide information about their absence. Most form templates ask for the following information:
- the duration of the absence
- the method by which employees report their absence
- the reason for the absence
- details of previous absences in the previous calendar year
- a summary of the plan to return to work
- appropriate adjustments necessary to help the employee return to work
Why is a form useful for get back to work ?
For companies, a form for reintegrating employees can be a helpful tool to better understand employees, identify absence patterns and find ways to reduce absences in the long term. In addition, such a form helps:
- Prevent unauthorised and unjustified absence.
- Confirm the correctness of an employee's absence statement.
- Inform employees about updates made during their absence.
- Identify all necessary adjustments for reintegration into the workplace.
- Develop, discuss and agree on a plan to resume work.
Some employers have long since established such forms and re-entry interviews as a prerequisite for returning to work in their companies - mainly because both sides benefit from them.
What happens during a re-entry call?
At a re-entry interview, an employee and his or her supervisor meet to discuss the employee's return to work after his or her absence. The manager uses the interview to confirm the employee's intention to return to work and to determine the most appropriate return plan for the employee.
The re-entry interview can be divided into three phases:
- Before the conversation
- During the conversation
- After the conversation
In all phases, managers should consider the following:
1. Before the re-entry interview
- Read the employee's attendance data during the year and the attached notes of the interview to resume work. This gives the manager a better basis for supporting the employee in his or her re-entry plan.
- Use a form template for resuming work after a long illness to better structure the interview. At the same time, mutual communication should be maintained during the interview.
- Select a conversation room in which the employee will feel at home.
2. During the re-entry interview
- Always keep the purpose of the meeting in mind: To help the employee return to work.
- Discuss with the employee the notes from previous re-entry interviews (if available) and determine what help the employee is currently receiving.
- Discuss the cause(s) of the absence and the likelihood of recurrence of the disease.
- Check whether there are personal or work-related concerns about returning to work. If there are personal problems, discuss whether there are any support mechanisms/measures that the employee or supervisor can take to alleviate the problems. If the problems are work-related, a risk assessment should be carried out for a return to work. This can be the case in case of disability, pregnancy or an accident at work.
- It should be determined that adjustments are necessary for the working environment of the employee.
- The employee should be reminded that there are mutual obligations, - i.e. it is the individual's responsibility/contractual obligation to participate in the work and that the employer/manager has a corresponding responsibility and concern for the employee's well-being.
3. After the re-entry interview
- Both parties should sign the form to resume work once the action plan has been discussed. This information must remain strictly confidential.
- Managers and employees should agree on a review period and/or review of the necessary measures.
- The responsible employees must be informed of the determination of certain measures.
- Managers should be available to speak on behalf of employees if any problems arise during reintegration.
Use digital tool to return to the workplace
Longer absences from the workplace can affect the productivity of a company and the morale of an employee. This makes it all the more important for employers to understand why employees have been absent to help them reintegrate successfully.
With a digital tool like Lumiform, companies can avoid a time-consuming paper process. The mobile app allows to capture, analyze and exchange information immediately. There is no need for post-processing. Employees can use the dashboard to easily plan and track their reintegration into the company.
The advantages of the mobile app for employees and employers at a glance:
- The form for getting back to work can be easily filled out by supervisors and employees via a tablet or smartphone - online or offline.
- All information is automatically bundled in a report and can be sent to other responsible persons in the company.
- Continuous increase in quality: Forms can be continuously adapted through the flexible checklist construction kit. Since Lumiform guides the employee through the check, no training is required.
- The app is straightforward to use and offers no room for errors. The app offers less complexity in documenting or filling out checklists than complicated paper or excel lists.
- Depending on the application, the filling out of forms is carried out about 30%-50% faster than with paper forms.
To make it easier to get back to work, we have put together some templates that can be used immediately with the Lumiform App. All templates can be easily adapted to internal company requirements. No programming skills are required.