What Is a BSCI Audit?
The BSCI audit (Business Social Compliance Initiative) provides a complete assessment of your company’s social compliance within the global supply chain. The BSCI audit assesses processes and working conditions in accordance with the BSCI Code of Conduct. This kind of check is not limited to any particular industry or product. Typically, it is conducted by small-scale producers and producers groups; small and medium-sized enterprises; large-scale enterprises; vulnerable and minority groups; internal-suppliers/facilities.
In order to guarantee the workplace standard at dealers, salesmen and suppliers, the BSCI examination is indispensable. In this way, legal guidelines are observed and damage costs are avoided.
This article deals with the following topics:
Key features of BSCI
1. No certificate issued. The front page of the audit report showing the results can be already used as proof. Therefore, the BSCI audit can be done via mobile applications.
2. A BSCI database can be used for getting information on the profiles for all of BSCI’s participants’ suppliers and on their auditing results. Thus, it is possible to avoid redundant audits and also track non-compliance issues by marking where the training of suppliers is necessary.
3. The BSCI Service Provider Directory helps BSCI members to find the right partners to utilize the BSCI system.
Values of the BSCI
The BSCI is based on a number of principles that are intended to ensure optimal working conditions for companies. In this way, your company’s entire supply chain will comply with both global and national standards for working conditions. These are summarised below:
- The right to freedom of association & collective bargaining
- Fair wages
- Occupational health and safety
- Special protection for young workers
- No bound work.
- Ethical business conduct
- No discrimination
- Decent working hours
- No child labour
- No precarious employment
- Environmental protection
BSCI a0udit information
While doing the BSCI audit, it is necessary to keep the following bullets in mind:
- The BSCI audits are done annually.
- The first audit includes an inspection of the site, a check of company records and one-on-one interviews of a sample of employees to get an insight into the daily situation in the factory. This is repeated every three years.
- The audit certificate is valid for 3 years.
4 tips for BSCI audit certification
Your company should meet a number of conditions based on the principles listed above. Tracking compliance with the established standards is a long and demanding process. The following tips will help you get started with your BSCI audit:
- Learn about the BSCI requirements
Research the 11 principles of the BSCI and find out which conditions must be met to rule out non-compliance.
- Avoid suppliers with known bad working conditions
Suppliers who have already attracted attention due to conflicts with employees should not be part of your supply chain.
- Carry out an internal audit for the BSCI standards
Your own initial examination of the conditions in your company helps you to identify certain weaknesses and risks and to optimise them as far as possible.
- Use a checklist for the BSCI examination
A checklist regarding the requirements of BSCI helps you to get an overview of all conditions in a bundled way and to work on them effectively.
App & software for a complete BSCI audit
Lumiform makes it easier for you to comply with the ever-increasing legal requirements for process documentation by using the mobile app to document via smartphone or tablet and being guided by the system through all documentation processes. Clean, transparent documentation helps to avoid high fines. The easiest way to do this is with a digital solution like Lumiform.
Digitize checklists and internal processes with Lumiform:
- The flexible checklist builder from Lumiform helps you to convert any individual paper list into a digital checklist without much effort.
- In addition, we offer more than 12,000 ready-made templates to help companies get started digitally in no time.
- Using the super intuitive mobile App, you and your teammates conduct check in the field with ease and in no time.
- All results, images and comments are automatically bundled in a digital report.
- Comprehensive analyses help you to identify inefficient areas in your company more quickly and thus to continuously improve your auditing and inspection processes.