What is a Business Continuity Plan Template?
A Business Continuity Plan (BCP) or Business Continuity Management (BCM) template is used by business continuity managers and IT teams to develop strategies for maintaining business continuity. These are used in emergencies such as extreme weather events, building evacuations, power outages, etc. The BCP form is used to identify operational areas, resources, recovery strategies with a high impact on the business and the associated personnel.
A business continuity plan template is used in any industry for IT disaster recovery, continuity of customer-related processes, and securing transport and logistics processes.
This article briefly discusses:
1. Advantages of a BCP form
2. Primary aspects to a business continuity plan
3. The Importance of Business Continuity Plan
4. A tool to optimize the BCM template
Advantages of an BCP form
Having a template ready in case of emergency is always a good idea to guarantee the following:
- The company and its processes are still functioning, and the operation does not have to be completely shut down.
- Avoid expensive start-up times of the company, which can cost you a lot of money and also destroy the reputation of your company.
- In the event of a crisis that also affects your competitors, a good BCP will give you an immense competitive advantage.
PRIMARY ASPECTS TO A BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLAN
There are three key elements that should be ensured while creating a business continuity plan:
- Availability: Plan the capability and processes in such a way that business has access to all the applications regardless failures. These could be found in the business processes, in the physical facilities or in the IT hardware or software.
- Continuous operations: Ensure that the operations will continue running smoothly even during maintenance periods or operational malfunctions.
- Recovery scenario: Brainstorm a way to recover the destroyed data in the event of a disaster.
The elements of business continuity include:
- Company objectives: strategies used by the firm for continuous operations
- Organizational structure: skills, communications and responsibilities of workers
- Data: anything related to company software
- Processes: processes essential to run the business
- Company systems: network and technology necessary to enable backups for applications and data
- Facilities: extra sites to recover the destroyed ones
THE IMPORTANCE OF BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLAN
The reasons to why the Business Continuity Plan is important can be summarized in the following bullet points:
- BCP identifies and addresses resiliency synchronization between business processes, applications and IT infrastructure. Eventually, it helps to save the sum ranging from 100,000 to 1,000,000 dollars that a company would have to pay to repair the system failure.
- They can keep your business functioning, protect data, maintain the brand image, and retain customers. A business continuity plan can minimize downtime and attain sustainable improvements in business continuity, IT disaster recovery, corporate crisis management capabilities and regulatory compliance.
- Without such a plan an organization can suffer revenue loss and lose its customers because it serves as a guarantee of business strength while rapidly adapting and responding to risks and opportunities.
Using Modern Technology for the Business Continuity Plan Template
A paper-based template for the Business Continuity Plan is difficult for management to maintain and keep up-to-date. Lumiform, the powerful mobile app for digital forms, helps companies move to a paperless planning process. Create your own continuity of operations plan template, evaluate the accuracy of the recovery process, and update your plan as needed from your mobile device. With Lumiform, you can:
- Digitally create and customize a BCP example
- Forward tasks to key individuals and members of the BCP committee
- Instantly add photographic evidence to your controls
- If required, have everything confirmed with electronic signatures
- Send an updated Business Continuity Plan to your team in a few easy steps
- Create reports automatically and save them centrally
To help you get started with paperless planning, we've put together the best templates for a sample business continuity plan that you can download and customize for free.