What Are Construction Contract Templates?
Construction contract templates are pre-written agreements used by construction companies to save time and money. They can be created for any type of agreement like construction contracts or commercial lease agreements. Some contract templates are used for both residential and commercial projects, while others are designed specifically for large or small projects.
These construction contract templates generally outline the details and expectations of a construction project. The main components of a contract include the parties involved and their roles, the specifics of the project, payment terms, and specifications as they relate to the type of work.
Construction contracts are important to the success of a project because they specify the details of a project, including timelines, responsibilities, and payment terms. In more complex projects, they could also specify the building specifications and product requirements.
In this article, we will discuss:
Why construction contract templates are important
Construction contract templates are important because they help you avoid mistakes and protect you from expensive liabilities. In fact, construction contract templates are one of the most important documents in a project, and yet, many companies still don’t use them when they start their projects.
While it can be difficult to understand how to create a construction contract that works for your business and protects you from liability or lawsuits, once you are familiar with the process it becomes simple. The sooner you start using a construction contract template for your business, the sooner you can profit from these additional benefits:
- Personalized construction contract templates are better than using off-the-shelf standard contracts because they reflects your company’s specific needs and goals.
- They will save you time and money by making sure you’re not missing anything when creating contracts for each new project.
- Once a template is proof-read and signed off by a legal team, a template ensures that your contracts are legally sound, so you don’t run into any issues later on down the line.
- Construction contract templates give you a place to start when creating contracts in case something does go wrong with one of them.
- A contract template can help prevent disputes between parties involved in projects by ensuring that everyone knows exactly what they’re getting into upfront.
How to write a construction contract agreement template
There are a number of options for writing a construction contract. You can either edit an existing template or hire an attorney to draft a new contract. Either way, it is important to understand the differences between these services so you know what type of work you need done and how much it will cost.
Here are tips to ensure that your construction contract is comprehensive:
- Customize According To Unique Needs
Using a template is easy — just fill in the blanks with information from your project and sign at the end. However, using someone else’s words raises questions about ownership and could leave you open to legal liability if something goes wrong (for example, if there are any undetected errors).
In many cases, you can create your own construction contract template by taking an existing contract and changing some of the key parts to fit your needs. But if you’re not sure how to do this or where to start, there are plenty of free templates available online—and even more available for purchase.
- Pick The Right Type
You should also keep in mind that one type of template may not be appropriate for all types of projects or organizations as each project has its own unique goals, risks and requirements. Find the right type suited to your project first before choosing.
- Check If You Need a Lawyer or You Can Write Your Own
You can write your own contract, or use a lawyer to draft it for you. Many people choose not to hire a lawyer because they feel that they are more knowledgeable than their lawyers. They already know by experience how such contracts should be written and what they need to include for it to be enforceable.
In some cases, this may be true. However, if you do not have legal training or experience with drafting contracts, then it is wise to get an experienced attorney on board with your project from the start. It’s always better to be safe than sorry, after all. This way, a legal expert can help guide you through all of the steps involved with creating and implementing an enforceable agreement between two parties.
The benefits of construction contract templates
The benefits of using a construction contract depend on the template type used, but whatever the type, the benefits go beyond just knowing what law applies to the agreements.
A good template is generally designed to make sure that there aren’t any gaps in your contract language—it should cover everything from risk management to payment terms, so that there aren’t any surprises later on down the road.
Other benefits include the fact that construction contracts are:
LEGALLY BINDING ARRANGEMENTS
A well-written contract will make sure all parties know exactly what they want from one another before starting work on any given job site; this helps prevent disputes from happening later on when things get more complicated than they were originally anticipated.
In short, construction contract samples are an essential part of any business or organization’s operations because they ensure that your business is compliant with the law, which is especially important for construction companies.
RELIABLE AGREEMENT REFERENCES
Construction contract templates serve as excellent reference tools when existing contracts need review or modification because they show the complete coverage of all areas of the work you’re contracting out.
This reference will be used to determine who’s going to provide the services or products; how much they’ll cost; how long it will take for each phase of construction; what steps need to be taken to keep your home safe during this process (such as securing loose objects); and who will pay for any damage done by their workers and/or subcontractors.
ACCURATE PAYMENT SCHEDULES
Another benefit of construction contract types is that they can offer an accurate schedule for payment. For example, if you’re hiring someone just for one day or one week at a time, there may be more flexibility in terms of when exactly they receive their check after completing each task.
The contract will also remind the parties to always read through any section labeled “Exclusions” carefully before signing anything official. This is where the terms of what items fall outside typical service agreements are indicated. Ignoring these exclusions could result in unexpected costs later down the road.
Which types of contruction contracts exist?
- Fixed-Price Contract:
A fixed price contract is one in which the contractor agrees to complete a specific project for a set price. The contract may also contain provisions that allow the client to make changes after signing the agreement, but they will have to pay for those. Generally, contractors use such a contract to see what’s required and to accurately estimate how much time a project will take to complete. There are typically no incentives for finishing early or on budget in this type, so use this when you want to avoid getting into trouble for delays.
- Cost Reimbursable Contract:
A cost reimbursable contract is similar in many ways to a fixed-price agreement; however, here the client pays only for actual costs incurred during the course of production and not any predetermined amount specified in advance by either party (unless otherwise agreed upon).
Cost reimbursable contracts also have both of their parties agree on what is included in the contract but don’t agree on an exact amount for each item (i.e., labor costs, materials costs). When work is completed, all costs are reconciled against actual numbers and then paid based on those final counts.
This means you’ll be able to save money if things go smoothly—or lose out if they don’t.
- Daily Rate Contracts:
These types of contracts establish an hourly or daily rate for every labor category involved with a construction project (i.e., carpenters, laborers). Each trade has its own unique set of rates; therefore, you may have multiple daily rate agreements within your construction documents depending on how many different people will be working on your site at any given time.
- Broken Down Contracts:
Similar to daily rate contracts except there are fewer payments involved so there are fewer agreements needed between parties.
The most comprehensive contract templates available
A good contract template will provide you with a structure and framework to work from, which can be helpful in forming your own agreements. That’s why it’s extremely important that you have the most comprehensive construction contract template used for your construction ventures.
Lumiform provides you with all the tools to write construction contract agreement templates that are fitted to your business structure and exact needs. We offer templates that you can customize and use over and over again with just a few clicks. No more time wasted searching for the perfect template — just pick one from our expansive gallery that fits your needs, customize it to use immediately.
Lumiform can support your business in many more ways:
- Extremely Powerful, Surprisingly Simple — Lumiform provides a remarkably simple user interface, which allows you to create your own enforceable contracts in just minutes. You don’t have to be an expert in HTML coding or any other complicated software program because Lumiform is extremely intuitive to use.
- Complete But Not Overwhelming — the highly intuitive mobile app allows you to create your contracts faster and error-free, increasing your productivity and work performance tenfold.
- Accessible Anywhere And For A Low Cost — use Lumiform’s app to convert paper contracts into digital checklists in minutes with our flexible form builder kit that your contractors can read and edit in an instant even if they’re in different countries.
- Form-fitted To Your Business — Lumiform offers contract templates in different languages, which include everything from simple daily rate contracts to more complex big-scale projects. You can even choose whichever template meets your unique business needs and requirements then customize it by just adding in additional fields or deleting others as required.
- Faster Business Growth — because you’re using the power of state-of-the-art technology, you can process your contracts up to 30%-40% faster than before, scaling your business faster.