How Can An App Facilitate Pre-Trip Inspections?
Pre-trip inspections have to be performed before every drive. While the process itself is not overly time consuming and will take seasoned drivers only about 30 minutes to perform, the associated paperwork is a huge hassle. As every inspection needs to be documented, you end up with a huge amount of forms and papers that need to be stored, documented and analysed. In addition: paper-based inspection forms can get lost easily and stall operations.
By providing your drivers with an easy-to-use and intuitive application that handily fits into their pocket, pre-trip inspections become a breeze. Drivers can check off items immediately as they move through an inspection, trigger automatic actions and submit their paperwork right where they stand. Obliterating complicated and error-prone filing systems, an app transmits data in real-time – and saves you valuable time, resources and money.
The main benefits of using an app over paper-based checklists for your pre-trip inspections include the following:
- Standardise Your Inspections For Concise Results
By conducting standardised inspections with Lumiform, you can identify issues more quickly and reduce the risk of accidents to a minimum. A thorough analysis of all collected data also helps to identify risks before accidents happen. Use data to your advantage and collect it effortlessly with every inspection. Not only does Lumiform store all your results, we also create automated reports and analyse your data for you.
- Get Real-time Overview
Wherever and whenever an inspection is conducted, you are sure to know of it. Results are uploaded in real-time and issues made visible. No more waiting for forms to be manually submitted or accidentally misplaced. Simply get a comprehensive overview of the pre-trip inspection process role through the Lumiform app and see at a glance which checks are completed, overdue, failed or unresolved. This insight allows you to make informed decisions and continuously optimize processes based on trends and patterns.
- Prioritise Safety
By using an app to conduct pre-trip inspections you automatically shrink the error margin and thus make sure that your team can stay safe on all of their journeys. Facilitating inspection processes makes employees less likely to forget or skip important details thus keeping them safe.
- A Healthy Fleet
Keep your fleet in an optimal condition and be aware of issues before they turn into full blown problems.
What Are The Key Features Of A Pre-trip Inspection App?
There are multiple elements that a pre-trip inspection app needs to bring together in order to become the ideal tool for fleet and driver safety and efficiency. The more intuitive the app, the less time the inspection process will take up. This will make your drivers more likely to conduct inspections efficiently and translate to a productive workflow and healthy fleet.
Customizable checklists guide you through the truck system by system so that drivers can safely begin their trips. Document your efforts and any necessary repairs or issues that you uncover so that you can keep an eye on the performance of your vehicles. Add photographs and comments and update your inspections in real time for fewer delays and maximum transparency. The key features of Lumiform’s pre-trip inspection app include helpful tools such as:
- Our flexible form builder and checklist maker gives you everything you need to translate all your paper forms into a digital format and expand upon them. Add in conditional tasks and automatic issue reports to facilitate pre-trip inspections and make your driver’s lives easier.
- By thusly automating your workflow you free up time, manpower, resources and energy to expand your business, deepen customer relationships and brand trust due to fewer issues and incidents.
- Ensure that everything is in order by integrating required fields into your inspections and including sign-offs. Hold your team accountable for every single inspection.
- You can choose to share reports with users and non-users alike, or assign specific people, for example mechanics, to receive error reports and issue logs. This way everyone involved is always aware of what is happening and can act accordingly.
- Collect your data and create automated reports. Get a cohesive overview of the status of your fleet and nip any problems in the bud before they have the chance to turn into an avalanche.
- Support and facilitate collaboration and team work by using the assign function that the app provides you with. All tasks are clear from the beginning and you can avoid any confusion and delayed actions.
- The key feature of Lumiform’s pre-trip inspection app is its flexibility and mobility. As opposed to regular paper checklists, the app can be downloaded onto a mobile device (like a phone or a tablet) and carried along easily. Perform inspections wherever you are.
A pre-trip inspection app needs to be flexible and easy to use. Making the change from paper-based or manual checklists can actually shorten your inspection time and provide you with more uniform and accurate data that is easier to compare. By employing an app, you choose efficiency, teamwork, accuracy and an environmentally friendly approach that benefits your workers, your fleet and your customers.
What Makes An Automated Pre-trip Inspection Workflow Invaluable?
In order to keep themselves and their trucks or other vehicles safe, drivers have to perform a series of inspections before each and every trip. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Checking the brakes. As untested brakes can lead to serious accidents and even death, checking the brakes is an imperative step in any pre-trip inspection. Are they in good condition? Is the ABS light on? Does brake fuel need to be changed or replenished? Pay special attention to detail in this step and break it down in multiple checkboxes to facilitate the driver’s work.
- Examining the ground for any fluid leaks. Fluid on the ground can mean oil, fuel or coolant and windshield washer liquid. Ensure that the ground is dry and everything is in working order.
- Making sure that the truck/vehicle is not leaning. A leaning vehicle can point to various (potentially fatal) problems. Are the steer tires flat? Or has the load shifted during a stop? A leaning truck may also point to issues with the binding shock absorber, the suspension components or the torsion bar. Make sure that the truck is not leaning and if it is, address the problems accordingly.
- Checking the lights and reflectors. If any are broken, replace them. Faulty light fixtures can lead to accidents or high fines.
- Ensuring that the cabin is safe. As this is the space the driver will occupy for the entirety of the trip, it is important that the cabin is in good condition. Have the drivers check for safety and security equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, reflective triangles, a fully equipped first aid kit) and replace everything that needs replacing. Further it is vital to check the seat belt, the shifting gear and make sure nothing is obstructing the footwell.
- Examining the truck’s wheels for any signs of rust and checking the nuts. Are there any objects under the vehicle that could get stuck in the tyres and cause accidents or further damage?
Automating the workflow of checking off every item in a step-by-step manner via a digital checklist holds drivers accountable, helps comply with regulatory requirements and keeps drivers and fleet healthy and safe. A pre-trip inspection app is a useful tool that takes any kind of guesswork out of the process and leads to a detailed and efficient report that supports your operations.