What is operational readiness?
The operational readiness serves the methodical check of the completeness of project results to ensure a smooth start and safe operation.
This article deals with:
1. Why a checklist is important for operational readiness
2. What to consider before starting a project
3. The advantages of Lumiform for the operational readiness
Why use a checklist for operational readiness?
A checklist for operational readiness is a structured project evaluation instrument. All processes and specifications that bring a project into a state of readiness to start or resume operations are outlined prior to commissioning. The evaluation is carried out before new processes are put into operation or existing processes that have been previously shut down.
Operation project managers from the oil and gas, construction and mining industries benefit from checklists for operational readiness. Their use ensures that the people, processes and systems necessary for the timely delivery, commissioning and handover of infrastructure projects are in place.
What should be considered before starting a project
Before starting a project it is essential to know process transitions ready for operation to avoid chaos. Operational errors, disorganization and insufficiently prepared teams lead to loss of value and poor performance in companies.
Tips for an optimal project start
- Define positions and fill them with the right personnel
The human factor is crucial for operational readiness. Ensuring a smooth "first day of operation" requires that areas of responsibility are correctly defined. In view of the key factors for the success of the operation, it is important to recruit people with the relevant expertise and to identify training needs to enable them to cope well with the start-up.
- Consult all the departments concerned
Always contact the departments affected by the project when carrying out a readiness assessment. Representatives from the technical, maintenance, accounting and human resources departments should be involved in the readiness assessment, as they can help to verify conformity with regard to concerns about construction quality, equipment preparation, finances and training competence. Risk throughout the project life cycle decreases if all concerns are identified and resolved prior to commissioning.
- Keep all employees up-to-date
Relevant information should be collected throughout the planning phase and it should be ensured that this information is passed on to staff who will manage the commissioning. Their ability to prepare for unforeseen events depends on how much information they have about the project. There should be a database containing all the information about system performance in real time, construction plans, permits and contact numbers.
- Perform tests before commissioning
Testing and commissioning are important steps in getting the system ready for operation. This involves checking whether the systems or processes have reached their performance targets before they are fully operational.
The operational readiness benefits of Lumiform
With Lumiform's mobile app, you can easily conduct any kind of quality and safety inspection via tablet or smartphone - online or offline. With the desktop software, you can create checklists and evaluate the data collected in the field. This significantly reduces the risk of quality loss, accidents at work, documentation errors and damage to reputation.
Digitize checklists and internal processes with Lumiform:
- The flexible checklist builder from Lumiform helps you to convert any individual paper list into a digital checklist without much effort.
- In addition, we offer more than 9,000 ready-made templates to help companies get started digitally in no time.
- Using the super intuitive mobile App, you and your teammates conduct check in the field with ease and in no time.
- All results, images and comments are automatically bundled in a digital report.
- Comprehensive analyses help you to identify inefficient areas in your company more quickly and thus to continuously improve your auditing and inspection processes.