What is a rental inspection checklist
An apartment inspection checklist helps landlords or property management companies to ensure that the rental properties are in good condition before, during and after the tenant moves in. Performing a rent inspection includes a thorough visual inspection of the premises and the exterior of the property.
The following topics are covered in this article:
1. The various types of rental inspections
2. What belongs in the move in inspection form?
3. The advantages of the Lumiform app for a move in checklist
A move in checklist for the apartment helps to ensure that important areas of the property are checked and are in good condition. Below are the three most common types of apartment handover certificate:
- Inspection of the rental property
In an inspection, the overall condition of a rental property is checked to determine whether it is habitable or not. Thoroughly inspect every aspect of the property and look for possible damage such as scratches or streaks on walls or floors, holes in the ceiling or walls, damaged window sills, door frames, etc. Quarterly rent inspections are an effective means of ensuring that the good condition of the property is maintained.
- Tenant move-in inspection
A tenant move-in inspection is carried out in the presence of the tenant. Carrying out this inspection documents any damage that may already exist before the handover and can be used as a reference for comparison at the end of the rental period. The aspects in this checklist cover the same aspects as a regular rent checklist, but are signed by both the landlord and the tenant.
- Move-out inspection
A move-out inspection is carried out at the end of the rental period to check the condition of the property. Information collected through a lease inspection form can be included in the formal contract between the landlord and the tenant, which ensures responsibility for any damage found that was not present when the tenant moved in.
What belongs in the move in inspection form
The apartment move in checklist is not binding. So there are basically no legal requirements. Nevertheless, the following points should be included in the move in inspection form.
1. Personal details of the tenant and landlord
2. Data on the apartment
- Address of the apartment
- Handing over the apartment
- Move-in date
- Last renovation
- Meter readings of gas, water and electricity
- Key handover
3. Existing damage and defects
4. If necessary taking inventory
With Lumiform's mobile app, you can easily perform any type of quality and safety inspection using a tablet or smartphone - online or offline. With the desktop software you can create checklists and evaluate the data collected in the field. This significantly reduces the risk of quality loss, accidents at work, documentation errors and damage to reputation.As a landlord or house owner, use the following advantages of our software for the handover protocol for an apartment:
- Generate real-time data via internal processes. This makes quality and security measurable, and you can use the data to optimize processes continuously.
- Get an overview of everything that's going on on-site.
- Reports are created automatically - this saves the complete postprocessing.
- Increase the efficiency of your internal processes: Through more efficient communication within the team, with third parties and with management, as well as faster incident reporting, you solve incidents up to 4x faster than before.
- Save time by analyzing all data more efficiently and identifying areas that need your attention more quickly.